Here you may find answers to a lot of frequently asked questions. If you can not find the answer you are looking for, do not hesitate to get in touch.
General FAQs (10)
You’ll find the current list of approved occupations here.
Since November 2013, it is an additional requirement in the 457 visa process that some occupations require the employer to show that they have advertised for the position in the past 12 months. It is primarily trades, nurses and engineers where this needs to be shown. We can advise whether LMT will be required in your particular circumstances and if so, advise your employer as to what needs to be done and what evidence is required.
There are different accessing authorities depending upon your profession.
You’ll find more details here.
To prove that you have functional English you must provide evidence of one of the following:
- an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result with an average band score of at least 4.5 for the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing). Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing
- a positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English
- completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
- completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
- completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English
- completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English
- the functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
To prove that you have competent English you must provide evidence of one of the following:
- you have achieved a score of at least 6 for each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
- you have achieved a score of ‘B’ for each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test (OET) that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
- you hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System, the world’s proven English language test. As part of your visa application, we will assess your English language requirements and advise you whether you are required to undertake the required IETS test. Broadly, unless you hold a passport from either; Ireland, UK, Canada, USA or New Zealand you must achieve a qualifying score in an International English Language Test (IELTS).
See here for more information.
Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
A translator in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.
A translator outside Australia does not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.
The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters has more information.
If you are sponsored on a 457 visa, you must be paid a minimum salary of $53,900 + superannuation for a 38 hour full time week. You can be paid more than this, but not less. You can’t include bonuses or commission in this amount.
A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students. The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) lists all registered providers offering these courses and the courses offered. The Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST) can provide details of registered courses.